Sunday, November 20, 2011

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain,
And Mourners to and Fro
Kept treading-treading-till it seemed
That Sense was breaking through-

And when they all were seated,
A service, like a Drum-
Kept beating-beating-till I thought
My mind was going numb-

And I heard them lift a Box
And creak across my Soul
With those same Boots of Lead, again,
Then Space-began to toll,

As all the Heavens were a Bell,
And Being, but an Ear,
And I, and silence,some strange Race
Wrecked,Solitary,here-

And then a Plank in Reason,broke,
And I dropped down,and down-
And hit a World, at every plunge,
And Finished knowing-then-



The poem "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain", uses similes and repetition to describe what she is thinking.The speaker writes " A service, like a Drum-Kept beating-beating-till I thought My mind was going numb." the service that she is comparing to a drum is like the service was long drawn out and never ending.

The Central Purpose of this poem is Death and how she is imaging how her own funeral would be. All she can do is hear whats going on at her funeral. When she was dropped down in the grave, it was like she entered into a new world. At that point she didn't know what to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment